Wisdom Tooth Removal : Treatment & Costs
Are your wisdom teeth causing you pain and discomfort? Wisdom teeth removal is a common procedure that assists to eliminate the pain caused by problematic wisdom tooth development. If left in place, difficult wisdom teeth can cause severe pain, infections and serious damage to the surrounding jawbone and teeth.
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth, or third and final molars, are the four last teeth to erupt, generally coming in during the late teen years or early twenties. Because the jawbone has fully grown to its adult size during the late teen years, the jaw is often too small to accommodate the new wisdom teeth comfortably. This is why the development of wisdom teeth commonly causes pain and discomfort, and can lead to more serious issues that require wisdom teeth removal.
Do I Need to Get My Wisdom Teeth Out?
Depending on the size of your jaw and how your wisdom teeth develop, you may not experience any issues with your wisdom teeth. The best way to determine whether you require wisdom teeth removal or not is to visit one of our approved dentists for a professional evaluation and assessment.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedure
Here is an outline of what you can expect during your wisdom tooth removal:
- Your dentist will use either local, sedation or general anaesthesia in order to numb your mouth and/or suppress your consciousness during the surgery
- An incision will be made in the gum to expose the tooth and bone
- If any bone is blocking access to the root of the tooth, it will be removed
- If the tooth is difficult to remove, it may be divided into several pieces
- The tooth is removed
- The extraction site is cleaned and any remaining debris is removed
- The site is stitched up if required for healing
- A gauze is placed over the site to control any bleeding and assist the formation of a blood clot.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Costs
The cost of wisdom teeth removal is dependent on your individual circumstances. Factors such as which anaesthesia was used and the nature of the extraction can have an impact on the overall price of the procedure. As a Smile member, you will receive a guaranteed saving of at least 15% on all dental procedures in comparison to regular patients.
Orignally posted by: smile.com.au